I am a member of Ontario Bar. Prior to completing my J.D. degree at the Faculty of Law at Queen's University in Kingston, Ontario, I obtained B.Sc. degree in electrical engineering and M.Sc. degree in computer engineering. I also hold M.B.A. degree from the School of Business at the University of Ottawa, Ontario. My offices are located in Barrie and Toronto.
I am practicing business/corporate, intellectual property law (patents, trademarks, copyright, and trade secrets) and wealth management law (taxation, wills, trusts, estates and estates litigation). I am a big believer in focusing on two or three (related) areas of law. If a lawyer's practice areas look like a laundry list of legal areas, he runs the risk of becoming a jack of all trades, master of none. One of the myths of the legal profession is that all lawyers are created equal and that the same license qualifies one to represent clients in a personal injury litigation, litigate a divorce and to handle patent prosecution. This makes it very easy for the least competent and least experienced to "versatile" it into an area where a paying client has walked through the door.
I represent clients in civil, business, commercial, taxation and intellectual property litigation before the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, the Ontario Court of Appeal, the Federal Court of Canada and the Opposition Boards of the United States Patent and Trademark Office and the Canadian Intellectual Property Office. My business and commercial litigation practice is closely intertwined with my intellectual property practice.
I am registered to practice before the Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO) and the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). In my intellectual property practice, I provide clients with all the services they need to secure protection for intellectual property such as: trademark clearance searches, trademark registrations, trade mark oppositions, trademark infringement litigation, product branding, corporate and business name protection, logos, label design, packaging, patent searches, patentability opinions, patent infringement opinions, patent drawings, patent drafting, patent examination and responses, patent maintenance.
I assist my business and commercial clients in establishing of legal presence through protection of corporate and intellectual property interests, including incorporation of businesses, preparation of shareholders agreements, preparation of business agreements, registration of patents, trademarks and copyrights and resolution of business conflicts. In my business practice, I advise on issues concerning shareholders' agreements, merger agreements, partnership and joint venture agreements. Some of the most frequent business law services include:
- Incorporation of new business and preparation of shareholders agreements;
- Preparation of partnership agreements;
- Monitoring compliance with corporate laws;
- Preparation and review of commercial real estate leases;
- Introduction and Distribution of New Products - technology licensing agreements, technology transfers, technology royalty agreements, intellectual property protection strategy;
- Access to Venture Capital - angel investors, venture capital investors, strategic partners, joint ventures, private placements, reverse takeovers, IPO readiness;
- Purchase and Sale of Businesses - asset and share sales, management buy-outs, family succession, shareholder buy-sells and dispute resolution;
- Shareholder and Partner Disputes - acting for oppressed minority or advising control group and negotiating voluntary or involuntary exits wit and without litigation;
- Corporate Reorganizations - strategize and implement key employee buy-ins, capital restructurings with owner/operators;
- Private and Not-for-profit Associations - advise on corporate, governance, and HR aspects of non-profits;
- Exempt Offerings of Securities - preparation of Offering Memorandum, key agreements, multiple closings, advise and preparation of documents for closely-held issuer offerings;
- Source and Implement Debt Finance - secured bank loans, term equipment loans, bulk lease financings, convertible debentures, factoring, asset-based lending;
I also provide wealth management services to my clients with focus on taxation, wills, trust and estates law and management of wealth portfolios. I ascertain clients estate planning goals and draft tax-efficient planning documents. I assist clients with obtaining probate (Certificate of Appointment) and provide general estate administration advice. Finally, I assist clients in responding to audit inquiries from tax authorities, negotiating with tax authorities on behalf of my clients, preparing notices of objection and appeals against tax assessments and litigating tax disputes at all judicial levels, including the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, the Tax Court of Canada and the Federal Court of Canada.